Youth Leadership Program (YLP)
Led by the Program Quality Director, John Cox. During 2018-19 Free YLP kits are available to prospective co-coordinators.
Do have a look at Recent Case Studies that have been collated in the District magazine (click):
The Basic Facts:
- Workshops & a showcase
- 8-10 sessions
- 1-2 hours per session
- Up to 25 participants
- Develop communication and leadership skills through practical experience
When do you host the meetings?
During, after school, or on weekends.
Participants learn to:
- Evaluate their own current speaking ability
- Prepare and deliver speeches
- Give impromptu talks (Table Topics)
- Control voice, vocabulary and gestures
- Give constructive feedback
- Take on responsibilities in the form of roles
What Materials are available?
$17 per kit. Includes 5 workbooks, 5 certificates, 1 coordinator certificate, 1 x coordinator’s guide and a pad of evaluation forms. Items are also available to buy individually from the Toastmasters online shop HERE
What equipment will I need?
- A fellow Toastmaster or two!
- Coordinator guides
- Evaluation sheets
- Long List of Table Topics
- Flipchart/Whiteboard pen and board/pad
- Optional gifts for the students/ Best speaker ribbons
How large are the groups?
- Maximum of 25 people.
- 15 students for 90 minutes works well, as an after-school club.
- Participants are selected by the school.
- Quiet and “challenging” students
- Those struggling to find their voice are best candidates.
How do I approach a school?
- Careers/English/Drama Teacher
- School Governors
- Cite work-ready kids for Ofsted report
- Tell them you can provide a Letter to parents
- Give them an overview of benefits
- Find other Toastmasters who have delivered YLP to pass on Testimonials / referrals
- Be prepared to answer questions about cost/time/program details
Do I need a security Check?
- England & Wales – DBS check – via school (no charge – school pays per person) or independently £60 online
- Ireland – Garda Vetting – No charge
- Disclosure Scotland website – Protecting Vulnerable Groups – £59 to start. £18 to refresh
How do I get time off work to deliver this?
- Speak to your employer about Corporate Social Responsibility
- Time off for community work
- If not, could you create some TOIL?
- Could you reduce your lunch breaks by 30 mins over the week to make your time up?
- Pitch it as a development opportunity for you to deliver training to a class
Who presents the program?
- A local Toastmasters club serves as sponsor and provides a coordinator to present the program.
- The coordinator attends each meeting
- Coordinator will lead most of the presentations and counsel participants.
- TM assistants can fill in for the coordinator should they be unable to attend a meeting, can demo speeches, TT and evaluations.
What are the sessions like?
- Meetings generally follow the format of a Toastmasters club meeting.
- Includes: an agenda, prepared speeches, evaluations, Table Topics & the selection of presiding officers.
- Each session has a lesson to develop the skills week by week
What do the sessions cover?
- Introduction to Chairmanship
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Impromptu Speaking
- Organising Your Speech
- Gestures in Speaking
- Voice and Vocabulary
- Show Your Skills (Showcase)
Any adaptations for UK/Ireland?
From Sam Warner (who has run seven YLPs as at 2017)
- I added two extra sessions before the Showcase to provide a dress rehearsal and a re-cap session which allows for catching up on any absence, plus extra practise.
- We have an icebreaker in session one called “The shield” to help with topic choices.
- I use the kipper diagram to reinforce structure every week
- I create the agendas each week
- I always have two reserve speakers
- I do group evaluations
- I added a grammarian
- I have a showcase committee
- I create bespoke hand-made cards for the students and write them a personal message – I get to know them pretty well and can choose appropriate inspirational and encouraging words for each child for them to keep.
What’s the showcase?
- Each child delivers a 4-5 minute speech in a topic of their choosing
- Order is decided in the dress-rehearsal
- Parents, teachers and friends are invited
- Students receive their certificate
- Showcase committee handle tickets, refreshments and room layout
- I write handmade personalised cards for each child to keep with a personal message inside based on what I have learned about them, but you could buy them sweets or a Toastmasters branded gift perhaps – as a keepsake.
- Hearing about the students from my past YLP groups going on to Youth Parliament, Speaking Contests, speaking in assembly, and starting drama feels awesome! Remember, most of these students were considered disruptive or quiet.
- When will you start your Youth Leadership Program?
- Who could you team up with?
- Who could you serve/help?
- What’s stopping you?
- This can be put towards your Advanced Communication Gold (ACG) Award.
- This could be used for High Performance Leadership (HPL) project if co-ordinating other TMs or clubs to deliver
- You will change someone life forever for the better.
- What action will you take first?
© 2017 Sam Warner